https://thetartan.org/2012/12/3/news/foreignlanguage Madelyn Glymour/News Editor

Palumbo Interview: TED+H

April 3, 2019

Mrs.Palumbo is a foreign language teacher at Blackford High School. She has been teaching for currently thirty four years and currently teaches two languages, Spanish and French. Mrs.Palumbo is a great teacher who T.E.D+H has decided to interview and here is her response to our five questions.

Number One: How long have you been teaching?

“I’ve been teaching since my earliest memories.  I had twin cousins, Jack and John, who were born a couple weeks after me and we used to build our own school forts.  I was always the teacher since I was the eldest. They put up with me until about the time we had to go to “real” school. Then, I was a math tutor in high school and thought I wanted to become a math teacher.  I switched from being a math major to being a French major at Purdue since I decided teaching a language would be more fun.”

Number Two: How many languages can you speak?

“Well, my native language is English, and I’m certified to teach French, Japanese and Spanish; so that makes four. See, I am good at math.”

Number Three: What is your favorite language to teach?

“Japanese is my favorite. The repetitive sounds are fun to say and the written language is art. It’s also the most challenging to learn.  French is my “comfortable” language. I lived in France and in Québec and it takes very little effort to use. Spanish is my most recently acquired language. Sometimes I still feel like an impostor being a Spanish teacher, but I think I’m much better now than I was six years ago. My favorite part about learning Spanish is that it opened up a whole new world.  I’ve met such interesting and wonderful people since I began learning Spanish.”

Number Four: What is your favorite language to teach?

“Japanese is my favorite.  The repetitive sounds are fun to say and the written language is art. It’s also the most challenging to learn.  French is my “comfortable” language. I lived in France and in Québec and it takes very little effort to use. Spanish is my most recently acquired language. Sometimes I still feel like an impostor being a Spanish teacher, but I think I’m much better now than I was six years ago. My favorite part about learning Spanish is that it opened up a whole new world.  I’ve met such interesting and wonderful people since I began learning Spanish.”

Number Five: What is your favorite part about teaching at Blackford?

This is my 34th year here at Blackford. It is my first job. What I like best about being here is the people.  I love to learn and I have learned so much from my students. It is interesting to get to know people who start out as big “kids” and grow into poised young ladies and gentleman.  I enjoy being a part of their lives. Also, I wonder at the individuality of each student; how they think and why. I never know quite what to expect so there is never a boring day!