Should We Pay For Education?

“Students Answer: Who Should Pay for My Education?” Times Higher Education (THE), 10 Aug. 2016, www.timeshighereducation.com/student/news/students-answer-who-should-pay-my-education.

Khaley Sills, Photographer/Writer

Tax, gas, and overpriced foods. We need to feed our families and even pay education fees. All of these things can add up into your account really fast. As a nation most Americans eat out four to five times a week, this gets expensive. Every person has to buy groceries at least once a month, and when this happens most buy in bulk. Don’t forget to add on the pricing for phones, gasoline, doctors, insurance, and even school. All of these costs add up, so do we really have enough money to pay for education?

I believe that we should not have to pay for education in elementary and our junior high years. High school and college is more acceptable because there are more activities, classes, and students. Although there are many more students and classes, I do not think that we should pay as much as we do. For high school, we pay for book fees, even though books are not used in most schools. We also pay for some technology that is put in our school, teachers, homework and more. We also pay for uniforms, equipment, and much more. In college, students pay for college tuition, room and board, food, and other things that may need to go into their dorm. These big buys also bring up another concern. Is our money being used for the right things? If we are paying this much money just to go to school and participate in extracurricular activities I believe that we should know what our money is used for.

Paying for education is not necessary, because there are many things we do not use.  Also the future needs jobs and workers, and how would this happen if we didn’t get taught. Education is a basic concrete step to the brighter future. This will help every child learn and prepare them for the future. If education is a basic platform, and is something that is a necessity, then why do we pay? Almost half the world — over three billion people — live on less than $2.50 a day. Around eighty percents of people live on less than ten dollars a day. This shows that not very many children can afford education. They do have situations for students who cannot afford certain things, such as free and reduced lunch, But what about those students are possibly just a dollar over making that cut? Financial instability is a huge problem globally, and education costs bring down this bar financially.

Staff, public officials, and governments officials deem that it is important that we pay for all of these things, which is not even beneficial to students. We pay for books, but we use computers. We pay for school expenses and much more. There are many schools that do not even present students with an adequate education. Most of this could be fixed if schools got tighter on their budget and didn’t make silly purchases. I believe that this could prevent the amount of money that families paid just for an education. I feel that prices for education should be lessened or diminished  completely.

1 Comment

One Response to “Should We Pay For Education?”

1. Brandon on May 9th, 2018 1:42 am

For good education we have to pay so its not difficult tp pay for education. I will discuss the matter with https://qanda.typicalstudent.org team members.

[Reply]

• Should We Pay For Education?

Opinions

What Was Fashion Back Then?

• Should We Pay For Education?

Opinions

Role Models

• Should We Pay For Education?

Opinions

Should We Be Able to Leave for Lunch?

• Should We Pay For Education?

Arts and Entertainment

How Fun Are First Concerts?

• Should We Pay For Education?

Opinions

Society’s Gender Standards

• Should We Pay For Education?

Opinions

Is doing nothing a good use of your time?

• Should We Pay For Education?

Opinions

Confederate Flag: Racist or History????

• Should We Pay For Education?

Opinions

What Role Will Robots Play in our Future?

• Should We Pay For Education?

Opinions

Society

• Should We Pay For Education?

Opinions

Morning Routines

Should We Pay For Education?