• SAT DATES cont: Date-3/9/19 Sign up by February 8 || Date 5/4/19 Sign up by April 5 || Date 6/1/19 Sign up by May 3

• SAT DATES: Date- 11/3/18 Sign up by October 5 || Date-12/1/18 Sign up by November 2

Do Students Have Enough Time for Homework?

Straton Stone, Writer

Do you think students have enough time in their day for homework? Well, I definitely do not think that students have enough time in their day for homework. Student go to school for seven hours each day, so why extend the amount of school work from that. There are many other things and activities that make up a person’s life, other than school. Some teachers think that students have time for hours of homework a day, and that is just an unacceptable amount of homework each day. If a student is at home trying to do their homework and has absolutely no idea how to do it what do teachers expect them to do? If they do the homework wrong they are still not going to get any points for doing it.

Think of all of the students that have practices for sports before, after, or even both. This decreases the amount of time that these students would have to do homework. Many students are in two to three sports for each school year. If a student is in three sports for a school year, they are most likely not out of a sport for the entire year of school. This means that the student who goes to school every day would also have practice every day before, after, or before and after school each day.

Also, there are many other activities, including working long hours after school, and students having to do homework at times this late may cause a lack of sleep. Schools emphasize greatly that students need to get the proper amount of sleep every night, and I believe that cutting homework out of student’s lives would help this happen. There have been many situations in which I have gotten home from a sporting event or worked late at night and had a large amount of homework due the next day. Most of the time after sports and work I get home at ten o’clock, at the earliest. If I have a lot of homework due, then I probably would not get to sleep until around twelve or one o’clock A.M.

School is at least seven hours long each week day, so why drag that time out even further for students with homework. If a student has homework in each class for a day that takes thirty minutes or more each class, that would be over three hours after school spent doing homework. That is ridiculous. If that student that had over three hours of homework started at four o’clock, they would not get it done until 7:00 P.M. or later, this does not include the time spent eating dinner or spending time with family after school.

School corporations need to realize that students lives do not completely revolve around school. Students do have lives outside of school and that needs to be thought about. Yes, students should learn to have responsibilities, but the amount of homework that is assigned each night can get ridiculous in many situations. The fact that students have to get up very early in the morning for school and stay for over seven hours each day, and have to go home and do more school work is crazy. I think seven hours a day for school is enough, don’t you?

About the Writer
Straton Stone, Staff

My name is Straton Stone and I chose this class because I wanted to do a class that was more student led. My favorite thing to do in my free time is play tennis. I am involved in Student Council and might do a couple other clubs this year. I’m hoping for a good year in Graphic Design!