The Red Door

Taylor Light, Photographer/Writer

September 19, 2019

It was a beautiful bright and sunny day, my friends and I had made plans to go on a hike. I woke up that morning at 8. I got ready then headed out to go to the meeting place my friends and I had planned, which was just the beginning of the trail head. The trail we hiked that day was called “Piper Head Trail”. The trail was 10 miles long, but it was an easy path. Just like always, I was the first one to arrive at the meeting spot. It was around 8:45 by the time everyone had finally arrived. We all made sure we had everything we needed and wanted to take with us for the day, including food, water, sunscreen, and just anything else. It was 9 when we finally began our hike.

We were all fine the first 3 hours, but after that we were dead. We still had the full day to go, we had promised ourselves to do the whole trail. We stopped at a small stone area right beside a river to rest and fill up our water bottles. We put our feet in the water and just chilled for a little bit, we were all just talking about random stuff. We sat on the rocks for about 30 minutes before we packed up and begin our journey again. We had walked for maybe 2 hours when we noticed something odd off the trail.

We got off the trail and walked over to the small building that seemed very out of place. The small building seemed to be very well maintained. My friends and I were just walking around the building looking at it, we were all so confused on to why there was just a small, very well maintained building in the middle of the woods. I was checking my phone when I heard one of my friends yell for us all to come to the side of the building he was on. I walked over there and I saw what everyone else was seeing, a red door. The red door had caution tape all over it that said do not enter, there was a little sign stuck in the ground that said do not enter. I’m not sure why, but this just gave me a weird feeling. It freaked my friends out too because after we all saw the door everyone wanted to get back on the trail and get away from the red door.

The rest of the hike all we talked about was the red door. After about 2 more hours we were back at where we started. I told my friends that I kinda wanted to come back and open the red door and go inside. Everyone thought I was crazy, no one else would do it with me. So I decided to do it myself. I got in my car and drove home. I ate, showered, and then went to bed.

September 20, 2019

I woke up that morning feeling great. I got ready for the hike, this time I was going alone since none of my friends would go through the red door with me. When I arrived at the trail head I sat in my car for a few to mentally prepare myself for whatever was about to happen. I listened to music the whole 5 hour hike to the building with the red door. When I got to the building I just stood there and looked at the red door for a few minutes. Then I did it, I opened the red door, and that’s when my life changed forever.