• SAT DATES cont: Date-3/9/19 Sign up by February 8 || Date 5/4/19 Sign up by April 5 || Date 6/1/19 Sign up by May 3

• SAT DATES: Date- 11/3/18 Sign up by October 5 || Date-12/1/18 Sign up by November 2

Lockers or Backpacks?

Photo taken by Straton Stone

Photo taken by Straton Stone

Straton Stone

Straton Stone

Photo taken by Straton Stone

Straton Stone, Photographer

What are backpacks made for? Exactly, backpacks are made for carrying the supplies used in school. The banning of backpacks would be pointless. Not only would the banning of backpacks make everyday school life harder for students and teachers, but it would also cause a major ruckus with students. Students would definitely not approve of backpack banning. Carrying backpacks around school from class to class is a very controversial topic.

Not every locker in schools functions properly. Lockers, like any other thing in the world, are not perfect. As you look around school, many students are only using backpacks. I think the carrying of backpacks should be the least of our country’s worries. As you look around at the backpacks or lockers, what do you think? Some people believe that banning the use of backpacks in classes will help in situations like school shootings, however, I do not believe that this is true. If somebody has the intention of doing something they will figure out a way to do it. Backpacks are not going to be the reason for a school shooting to not happen.

Going to a locker after every period reduces the passing period time. Teachers usually expect students to use the restroom during passing periods, which limits the time available to go to lockers to get things needed for class. Most high schoolers’ passing periods are five minutes or less, which definitely does not give you time to go to your locker and to the restrooms. If a student is even fifteen seconds late to class they are marked tardy and after so many of them, they have to face a punishment. I believe that if schools banned the use of backpacks that there would be a lot more students late to class.

Having everything in a backpack for classes assures that class time is not wasted as much. Having to keep everything in lockers can be tough to remember what all you need for a class on a specific day. Everybody forgets things, but when you already have everything in a backpack it is hard to forget everything for class. Making students use lockers and not allowing them to have backpacks will only cause more stress on the teachers because they will have to let the student go back to lockers while class is going on to get the supplies that they need for the day.

In the United States Of America, we have some of the highest crime rates, and we’re here worrying about if students should be allowed to carry backpacks or not. Our focus should be on educating the students, not trying to cause a ruckus between students in schools and the staff in schools.

In conclusion, backpacks should not be banned! Banning backpacks would cause a major ruckus among the students and the people who decided to do the banning of the backpacks. I can guarantee that almost all students would agree when I say that backpacks should not be banned. Many of other things need to be discussed before we even have a discussion about what the benefits of banning backpacks would be.

About the Writer
Straton Stone, Staff
My name is Straton Stone and I chose this class because I wanted to do a class that was more student led. My favorite thing to do in my free time is play tennis. I am involved in Student Council and might do a couple other clubs this year. I’m hoping for a good year...