My First Job!

Source: Greeks pizzas facebook page

Source: Greeks pizzas facebook page

Source: Greeks pizzas facebook page

Cameron Hall, Editor

Getting a job is one major step into adulthood, and choosing your first job can be a hard decision. It’s one of life’s stepping stones that you learn a lot from. You learn how to have a good work ethic, and how to communicate well with others. Your first job is a memory, and experience that you’ll never forget.

My first job was at a place called Joe On The Go. I was a Barista, which is someone who specializes in making coffee. It was a good first working experience for me. The store is located in Upland Indiana. Which is  a fifteen-minute drive from where I live. One of the things I really enjoyed while working there was the fact that I got to meet different people that I wouldn’t get to see on a normal basis. Most of the people I worked with were college students that went to Taylor University.

I kept that job for almost a year when I decided to get a different job, because I wasn’t really getting scheduled as much as I wanted to be. Therefore, I wasn’t making as much money as I wanted to. After that, I got a job at a place called Greek’s Pizzeria. It’s actually right next to Joe On The Go. It’s in Upland, Indiana, and I absolutely love it!

I work with a lot of great people at Greek’s, and I’ve learned a lot from my experience there so far. I’ve learned how to be a hard worker, how to manage my time efficiently, and how to be a great active listener. I still work with some kids that go to Taylor University, but there’s also a couple of kids I go to school with that work there. My brother is employed there, too. It’s nice to have some people you know around so things aren’t as awkward to adjust to.

I feel like I just had more in common with the people at Greeks than my first job. I actually love going to work now, because all we do is laugh and have a good time. I mean we still have to be serious. We do take the job seriously, because we love our job so much. I can see myself working there throughout high school.

This experience has changed who I am today as a young adult. I’ve learned that you can actually have fun with the people you work with, but you also have to be serious too, and earn your paycheck. It’s made me a hard worker, and a better communicator. In the past I was always a shy person. I still can be, but I’ve came out of my shell since I became a waitress.  It has kind of forced me to talk to people a lot more than what I would on my own. I’ve had a couple of rude customers, but everyone’s going to have that at some point and will just have to deal with it more accordingly.