• Yearbooks now on sale for $57 Jostens.com or see Miss Reser in Rm 239

• SAT DATES cont: Date-3/9/19 Sign up by February 8 || Date 5/4/19 Sign up by April 5 || Date 6/1/19 Sign up by May 3

• SAT DATES: 12/1/18 Sign up by November 2

NCAA Players Paid?

Source: wruf.com

Source: wruf.com

Rydge Dunica, Writer/ Advertisement

Do you think that college athletes should be paid? I think that they should. They do almost exactly the exact same thing that professional athletes. With practices in the morning and the evening, that doesn’t allow for the college athletes to get jobs to pay for their meals, gas, and their everyday needs. I do not think that they should make as much as professionals, but they still need to make some money.

Both professional athletes and college athletes can be seen on television, but professionals get paid to do it while college athletes aren’t getting anything. Just as many people watch the NCAA men’s basketball tournament as they do NBA games. The highlights of games and reports of the game are played on ESPN just like the pros. This is just one of the many reasons that college athletes deserve to be paid.

Another thing is that they both put in up to seven hours of practice or lifting a day. That restricts college athletes’ time for school work and to do their hobbies. College sports teams bring in just under 10% as much as the professional organizations do, while the professional organization use a majority of the money on paying the players. But college teams don’t spend any of the money that they bring in on the current players on the team.

College sports are very similar to professional. Both have the teams’ jerseys sold in stores and online. College athletes, just like pro athletes, sacrifice all of their free time for the sport that they are in, but they don’t get anything in return for it. Scholarships, most of the time, only cover the tuition and board, the students need money for other things such as gas, clothes, food, and hygiene needs.

Many former college athletes have spoken on this topic.  “You go to Chapel Hill and try to go to a Carolina-Duke game, good luck trying to find a ticket. It’s nationally televised. There’s so much money that goes behind just one basketball game” (Marvin Williams). Marvin is a current NBA player for the Charlotte Hornets, and attended North Carolina University on a basketball scholarship.  “Despite the hours I put in every day, practicing, learning plays, and traveling around the country to play games, and despite the millions of dollars our team generated for UCLA—both in cash and in recruiting students to attend the university—I was always too broke to do much but study, practice, and play,” (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar). “Congrats to UNC. Seriously. Also- every player on the court tonight should have been paid. Scholarships don’t count. Don’t @ me.” (JJ Reddick). Who is a current NBA player for the Philadelphia 76ers, and went to Duke for basketball. These are just a few of the things that former college athletes are saying about paying college athletes.

The debate of college athletes earning money for playing the sport will last a while because I don’t see the NCAA giving into paying them anytime soon. All athletes put in tons of work to become as great as they possibly can, but yet when they are in college they don’t earn anything. College and professional athletes are almost exactly the same, the only difference is their ages.  

About the Writer
Rydge Dunica, Writer

Taylor Swift once told me, " Thank you for buying a shirt with my face on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I play basketball and baseball. My favorite food is chicken...