Blackford Students Conquer NAILE Again

November 9, 2016

Kelsey Clamme showing her Cross Barrow Monday, November 7, at NAILE.

Sara Troyer and her family pose for a picture with her Reserve Champion Yorkshire at NAILE.

For the past few years, students from Blackford County Schools have been attending the annual swine show at the North American International Livestock Exposition or NAILE. The show has taken place at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville since 1974. NAILE is the world’s largest all-breed purebred livestock exposition and averages about 30,000 entries a year, with competitors from all over the country. The 2016 show lasts from November 1 -17. This year, seven Blackford County students attended the pig portion of the event, November 3-7.

“NAILE is always a great time,” said Montpelier Elementary School sixth grader, Nick Aulbach. “I get to meet people from all over the country, as well as look at some of the best pigs in the country.” NAILE had representatives from all 48 contiguous states, but an estimated 60% were from Indiana. “I think it’s really cool how many of the pigs are from Indiana. It may not be the coolest state, but when it comes to show pigs, Indiana is the best.” Aulbach explained.

Not only is Indiana prominent in the show pig industry, Blackford County was quite successful this year as well. Out of all 11 Blackford County pigs, only one did not place. Aulbach placed 11th out of 26 in his class. Montpelier Elementary School third grader, Mason Kitterman, placed 4th and 9th in his respective classes. Kitterman’s older brother, Noah, a seventh grader at Blackford Junior High School placed 4th and 8th in his classes.  Blackford High School sophomore, Anya Aulbach, placed 4th in her class. Kelsey Clamme, an eighth grader at Blackford Junior High, stood 10th in class, and her brother John, a fifth grader at Northside Elementary stood 2nd in his class. BHS senior, Sara Troyer, stood 5th in one class and 1st in another. Troyer went on to win Reserve Champion Yorkshire.

“It’s such an honor to be Reserve Champion York at a show like the North American. It was an amazing experience, and I’m so thankful to have had it,” Troyer commented. “I’ve learned so much from my time here at NAILE. Hard work and responsibility, how important determination is, and this show has really helped me find my passion and what I want to do with my life.” Troyer and the other six Blackford County students returned to school on November 8, with many new friendships, lots of lessons, and countless memories. “I can’t pick just one favorite part,” Troyer explains. “I just know that NAILE is a show like no other. It’s made me a much better showman, and I’ll remember the times spent (at NAILE) for the rest of my life.”

Bruinformer • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in