After the Curtain Falls

The Blackford High School theater department recently put on its fall semester show. The production, John Patrick’s “The Curious Savage,” was performed on Oct. 13, 14 and 15, in the BHS theatre.

This was the first theatrical performance directed by English teacher, Katie Morario, and student teacher, Grace Bolinger, though Morario has previous theater experience having been involved in theater at both Ball State University and Muncie Civic Theatre. Many of the cast thought that both directors did an exceptional job directing their first high school play.

“The directors worked with everyone really well,” junior Helen Bennett said.

The play is a comedy about an elderly woman, Ethel Savage, who inherits a large sum of money after the death of her husband. She is then admitted into a sanatorium by her three greedy stepchildren. The sanatorium is the home to the Cloisters, a group of mentally ill people with varying degrees of sanity. Ethel gets to know the Cloisters throughout the play, and finds that they aren’t as insane as they originally seem. After her stepchildren plot to steal her fortune, she hides it from them and refuses to tell them where it is. The play sets a moral line between the greedy stepchildren and the Cloisters, showing that insane people can sometimes be the sanest of us all.

The actors did well according to many viewers, and it was seen as one of the school’s best productions by many of the cast members.

“By far this was one of my most favorite plays to be in,” junior Parker Crouch said.

Even veteran BHS theatrical actor, senior Hannah Lukas, emphasized that the production was her favorite out of all of her productions. “I’ve been in several plays throughout high school, and I can honestly say that “The Curious Savage” was the best one I’ve ever been in,” Lukas said.

With the conclusion of this production, the theater department will be looking towards its next production, in either the spring or fall semester next year. No comment could be obtained about the nature of the next production.