Rainy Trip to Mounds State Park

November 19, 2018

On Tuesday, November, 1, Mrs. Hundley’s Biology 2 classes went to Mounds State Park and found out about the rare animals of Indiana, as well as some common animal facts. The people who were going on the trip were called to the front doors of the school halfway through first period, for attendance, followed by a 45 minute ride to the park. Shortly after arriving three students at each table were given an animals skull and were instructed to guess if it was a carnivore, herbivore, or omnivore, as well as what animal it was. The students also learned how to tell different turtles apart from just their shell and got to see two live snakes.
The park also has a nature center in the main building, filled with knowledge games, live looking statues, dioramas, ancient Indian tools, and different kinds of bird nests. One of the park managers also showed the students how some of the old Indian tools were used, including what they used to hunt in the ice age. After all the inside activities, the students got to go on a hike in the park, however, due to the rain, the students couldn’t be outside for long.
During the hike, students got the opportunity to learn that there are some unique plants in Indiana, as well as some pretty interesting spots (most of which we couldn’t see). They could also see what the Indians used for shelter 2000 years ago, but couldn’t see much more from that.
After the trip, the students packed up to get back to Blackford and stopped for food on the way. The students had a choice between a Mexican restaurant (Qdoba) and a Chinese place (Panda Express). This was a fun trip and if given the choice I would go back sometime. It’s always interesting to learn that there are some things in Indiana that you won’t find anywhere else in the world. My favorite part was learning how Indians lived back in the ice age. If you’re planning a trip out of town I would suggest Mounds State Park.