“FNAF 4 Fan Art. | FNAF | Pinterest | FNAF, Fan Art and Fans.” Pinterest, www.pinterest.com/pin/506725395557431679/.

Five Nights At Freddy’s Four: Game Review

"Monsters don't sleep under your bed they sleep in your head." Unknown

August 21, 2018

Five Nights at Freddy’s Four or FNAF 4 for short, is an indie horror game created by Scott Cawthon and can be bought on Steam or downloaded on the PlayStore on android. This game is the fourth installment of the Five Nights at Freddy’s series and features robot animatronics that is twisted into nightmares in the mind of a child. In this game, you play as a small child who is haunted by nightmares of the robots that play at Freddy’s Fazbear’s Pizza. FNAF 4 is a brilliantly made game with each of the robots features being portrayed as nightmarish in unique ways such as pupiless glowing eyes and a metal tongue. Each robot also has their own special game mechanics ranging from nightmare bear plushies appearing on your bed and a robot slowly emerging from your closet.

Out of all of the FNAF games, Five Nights at Freddy’s Four is the one I enjoyed the most playing and watching others play because of the appearance of the robots and the way the game is played. Unlike the other games in FNAF, Five Nights at Freddy’s Four added the small mechanic of almost free-roam as you have to run to the doors and closet to either shut them or look down them. This makes the game stand out from the other games that came before FNAF 4 which is something that really drew me to the game. But there is a downside to this FNAF 4 follows the same core mechanics as the other FNAF games meaning that when people such as Markiplier played the game it has a negative effect.

This negative effect is that people just were not scared by the jump-scares in the game even though this game, in my opinion, has the scariest animatronics and it even featured blood when you died. Many people say that the fourth game in the Five Nights at Freddy’s franchise was one of the worse ones mostly because it was a huge change from the game style of the rest of the FNAF games at the time. Due to these reasons, the hard work that put into the game was almost overlooked even though Five Nights at Freddy’s Four was a huge step in the franchise. This game set up the unique game style of the fifth game, FNAF Sister Location where Scott Cawthon added more than just checking cameras and shutting doors. FNAF Four helped Scott create Sister Location to be the game that people say was one of the best in the franchise, so we have a lot to thank this game for.

Overall my opinions on Five Nights at Freddy’s Four is that the game is really well made not only in the visual style of taking something meant to bring joy to kids and twisting it into a nightmare, but the gameplay is interesting and different from the previous FNAF games. The best part about this game is the way the robots function and move with the player having to really listen close to hear the robots breathing down the hallways. I believe this adds a level of immersion because it means the player is fully concentrated on the game because unlike the other Five Nights at Freddy’s you must listen to sound cues to be able to finish the game. My only dislikes about FNAF 4 is that it still followed the core ideas of the other games, stay alive until 5 am by shutting doors and such. FNAF 4 may be different from the other games but the core idea about survival was the same as the other game. Although FNAF 4 may not have been liked by Five Nights at Freddy’s fans the game is still really well made and it made Scott really step up his game giving us the diverse game of Sister Location. Five Nights at Freddy’s Four gets a nine in my book for its deep lore, visual appeal, and truly nightmare-inducing animatronics.