• Yearbooks now on sale for $57 Jostens.com or see Miss Reser in Rm 239

• SAT DATES cont: Date-3/9/19 Sign up by February 8 || Date 5/4/19 Sign up by April 5 || Date 6/1/19 Sign up by May 3

• SAT DATES: 12/1/18 Sign up by November 2

How NASCAR has Changed Over the Years

Tra Smith, ad/writer

Over the years, stock car has changed a lot. NASCAR has gone from building their cars from scratch to having machines put the bodies together and putting electronic screens in the cars. Back when NASCAR first started they raced on sand at the famous DAYTONA beach. As the years went on the cars started to get faster, louder, and heavier.  Also, the safety has progressed over through the years. At first, the drivers only had safety belts and biker helmets that doesn’t really protect your face. Then they started putting additions onto the body and on the roll cages. Then on what most would say the most tragic day in stock car and in NASCAR racing at the 2001 Daytona 500 on the final lap Dale Earnhardt Sr died coming out of the last turn.

That was the day the man in black turned February 18th, 2001 into NASCAR’s darkest day. NASCAR has always changed the aerodynamics of the cars. They changed the rules package every year. NASCAR has also went from letting the cars go the full race to 3 stages so they can have championship points. Safety wise, the cars have special helmets where it has a cooling system in their so when they race at tracks where the temperature can be up to 100 degrees and over they can use those helmets to keep their head a little cooler. The bodies on the cars nowadays are made of a special sheet metal which is easy to bend which also makes the cars go a little bit faster aerodynamically but the way the package is on the cars it changes the way the car turns and how it feels on the track.

Another way stock car racing has changed is now the tracks have a special catch fences lights up when a caution comes out. Also the catch fence curves so if a car gets airborne the fence would catch it obviously will bring the cars back on the track. Another the way the tracks have changed is that a lot of tracks now days are getting lights so just in case they have to go into the night they can turn the lights on and keep racing. The tracks are also getting repaved which makes an impact on how the way the car will turn and if you can keep the car stable enough to where you won’t spin out. The walls around the tracks are now getting cushion inside of them so when they hit the wall in a wreck, it won’t cause the driver to get seriously hurt.

Now the cars go through tunnels called wind tunnels at a certain speed to test the way a car will do speed wise and how it will affect the way the car turns. Drivers are also going through simulators where the can drive around the track like they are in a video game testing out different setups for different tracks. The drivers test out different down forces and how the drag is affecting the car. So when the drivers go to the track every weekend they’re trying to bring the best car they can have.   

In conclusion, This sums up how NASCAR has changed over the course of the year. Everything from safety to aerodynamics.                    

About the Writer
Tra Smith, Writer

I am a Senior at Blackford High School. I love to hunt, fish, eat, sleep, and race cars!!!