• Yearbooks now on sale for $57 Jostens.com or see Miss Reser in Rm 239

• SAT DATES cont: Date-3/9/19 Sign up by February 8 || Date 5/4/19 Sign up by April 5 || Date 6/1/19 Sign up by May 3

• SAT DATES: 12/1/18 Sign up by November 2

When to Begin Sports?

“Best Sports For Kids, All Sports & Compare Sports.” Thapos: Sports Management Software for Clubs, Leagues, Teams, Players, thapos.com/sports-library/choose-right-sport/6/compare-sports.

Rydge Dunica, Writer/ Advertiser

When do you think is a good time to begin playing sports? There are many answers to this, one being when the athlete wants to. I believe that kids should begin playing sports when they want to. Although, I think that the parents should put their kids in all sports for at least a year, so that they can see if they enjoy it or not. If they do not enjoy playing the sport than they shouldn’t have to continue playing it. Parents forcing their kids to play sports when they don’t want to is only making them and the team worse. If they do not like playing the sport they won’t try to get better, and if they don’t work to get better it is making the team worse. I interviewed three of my classmates, I am also going to put in my own information on when I began sports, and if I have ever not enjoyed playing a sport.

I first began playing sports at the age of five. My parents put me in every sport that they possibly could. I played basketball, soccer, baseball, and football. I quit half of them by the time I was in junior high, soccer and football. The reason for both of them was that I just lost interest and it wasn’t fun anymore. Sports shouldn’t be something that you dread doing, you should have fun playing.

The first person that I interviewed was Taylor Light, a sophomore who currently plays varsity volleyball and runs varsity track. She started playing tee-ball and soccer when she was either six or seven. Taylor did not enjoy her playing volleyball during her eight grade and freshman year. Over the years of her athletic career she has quit cheer, competitive dance, softball, and soccer. The reason for her quitting all of these is because she didn’t enjoy playing. Taylor plans on playing volleyball for the next two seasons.

I also interviewed Straton Stone about his past in sports. He is a current sophomore and is part of the tennis team and the track team. At the age of five all he played was tee-ball. By the next year that one sport turned into three. He played tee-ball, basketball, and soccer. During junior high he tried outfor golf and didn’t like it at all. During his freshman year he didn’t enjoy cheering, and then the next year he quit. Over time he gave up baseball, soccer, basketball, and golf. The reason for all of these being that he didn’t like them.

The last person that I interviewed was Isaac Justice, a sophomore. He currently participates in football, wrestling, and baseball. When he started school is when he started playing sports. When he was little he played every sport that he could, baseball, basketball, football, soccer, and did wrestling camps. When I asked him if he ever quit a sport he said, “Yes, I quit track after eighth grade because the coach didn’t know how to coach, and had favorites.” He says that whenever he quits enjoying a sport is when he will quit it.

A popular reason for quitting a sport of the people I interviewed, is not enjoying it or having fun. This goes to show that if an athlete doesn’t enjoy playing, then they aren’t doing any good for the team. It all goes back to having kids start playing sports when they want to.

About the Writer
Rydge Dunica, Writer

Taylor Swift once told me, " Thank you for buying a shirt with my face on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I play basketball and baseball. My favorite food is chicken...