• Yearbooks now on sale for $57 Jostens.com or see Miss Reser in Rm 239

• SAT DATES cont: Date-3/9/19 Sign up by February 8 || Date 5/4/19 Sign up by April 5 || Date 6/1/19 Sign up by May 3

• SAT DATES: 12/1/18 Sign up by November 2

Should Schools Teach Skateboarding?

Braden Liddick, Writer

Can skating in school be a good idea? Can skating be beneficial to kids that are actually determined? I have many more questions about this topic. In gym class you learn a series of sports over the semesters. I think that schools should take out a sport in gym that really isn’t necessary and put in skateboarding. Skateboarding, in my opinion, can help you out in the long run over badminton or some other sport that gym teaches. Skating can help out with balance and coordination, those two skills are very important. Skating is also a very fun hobby and a good way of transportation for the youth.

Skateboarding would be something good to learn and there are many reasons for that. Skating is something fun to do in your free time, Hartford City also has a skate park in town. Skating is a superb way of exercise as well. Skating is an excellent way of getting from here to there. Skateboarding can be inexpensive too, so it would definitely be a good alternative to a bike. Skating is better for the environment over cars, because skateboards do not pollute the air by letting off gasses.

I sat down and interviewed Trystan Mitchell, a student a Blackford High School, and I asked him if he thinks that the schools gym class should add skateboarding to their sports that they teach. He replied with “ Yes, the school should add skating as a sport to teach because skating can be important and you can learn skills that you can find helpful in your life, such as balance \. I also asked Trystan how skating can be beneficial to students and he replied with,“skating can benefit students by supplying kids with the physical activity that they need.” I followed up with a question asking how skating can be a disadvantage He replied with, “ I really do not think that there is a disadvantage when it comes to this sport, everything is positive”.

I researched to see if there is any present schools that teach skating. I found one school name “The Greenwood School”, a boys school located in Putney,Vermont. The school has a bunch of activities, including skateboarding. I believe that Blackford should include skating as a gym activity. This change may allow certain kids be more involved in school and to be more motivated.

Skating is a very popular sport, but not many schools offer it. Starting this can also lead to a travel skate team which can be helpful to our school if we were to win. A skating career can be something good to be in, when it comes to your skill, sponsors, or even winning tournaments. There is a lot of money involved in this sport. A little thing being added into our school can change a kids life, just like basketball and baseball. This is why I believe that skateboarding would be a very helpful and nice improvement to our school and to our community.

1 Comment

One Response to “Should Schools Teach Skateboarding?”

1. katherine coons on August 10th, 2018 10:28 am

hello I think skateboarding glass would be great my grandson loves it.

• Should Schools Teach Skateboarding?

Fall Sports

A New Beginning

• Should Schools Teach Skateboarding?

Fall Sports

One Family, One Team, One Mission

• Should Schools Teach Skateboarding?

Perspectives

Tipping-Off

• Should Schools Teach Skateboarding?

Sports

Story of LeBron James

• Should Schools Teach Skateboarding?

Sports

Montpelier Motor Speedway

• Should Schools Teach Skateboarding?

Fall Sports

Lady Bruins Soccer Falls Hard to the Yorktown Tigers (10-0)

• Should Schools Teach Skateboarding?

Sports

How NASCAR has Changed Over the Years

• Should Schools Teach Skateboarding?

Sports

Good & Bad Skateboards.

• Should Schools Teach Skateboarding?

News

Girl’s Basketball Gets New Coach

• Should Schools Teach Skateboarding?

Sports

When to Begin Sports?

Should Schools Teach Skateboarding?