• Yearbooks now on sale for $57 Jostens.com or see Miss Reser in Rm 239

• SAT DATES cont: Date-3/9/19 Sign up by February 8 || Date 5/4/19 Sign up by April 5 || Date 6/1/19 Sign up by May 3

• SAT DATES: 12/1/18 Sign up by November 2

The Benefits of Reading

Andrei, Mihai. “7 Scientific Reasons to Read Books.” ZME Science, ZME Science, 7 Apr. 2015, www.zmescience.com/other/feature-post/scientific-reasons-to-read-books/.

Raegan Logan, editor

Lots of kids despise reading, and I really do not blame them. For most kids, reading is a chore that is assigned to you, and you only do it when you are asked. Actually there are actually a lot of wonderful things about reading and books. Do not lie, you groan when your English teachers give you reading to do, but if it was about a topic you liked or interested in, you may like it. There are tons of books in the world I am sure one of them would interest you.

There are multiple benefits and reasons to read. Personally, reading is one of my favorite pastimes. It puts you into other people’s shoes and gives you different perspectives. Kind of gives you a different life for a little while, it is refreshing.

The benefits of reading are endless. There are a good amount of good things to come to you if you read more often. For example, it makes you more intelligent, which can help your academics. Also, it definitely expands your vocabulary and it boosts your brain power. Reading also makes you more empathetic. A study was conducted and it showed that reading can decrease your chance of getting Alzheimer’s disease by 2.5 percent.

More benefits of reading are that it helps you relax. Reading before you go to sleep can help you sleep better. It provides a good sense of mental stimulation. It reduces stress, which is very helpful for high school students. Also, reading can improve your memory, another thing that could be beneficial to students when studying. Gives you stronger thinking skills. It also improves your focus and concentration skills, two very useful skills needed for pupils. Finally it gives you better writing skills. Did you know that flipping the pages of books, helps you comprehend them better? Isn’t that amazing!

Reading may be difficult for some people but it can absolutely be enjoyable, I promise you. Clearly it has amazing advantages that everyone uses and some others need those improvements. Also, most people find it a challenge to find a book that they would actually be interested in. Just think about your favorite things in the world. For example, if you like football, read about football. If you like love and romance, there are lots of books with romantic interests. There really is something for everyone. There are trillions of books to choose from, I am positive there are some out there for you.

Reading is wonderful for your mental and even physical health sometimes. It is especially good for your mind, makes it work harder and more efficient. Once again, remember all these things the next time you groan about your English teacher assigning you reading. It will help you in the long run. You will feel great afterwards, I guarantee it. You know the saying, “readers live a thousand lives”. Make your life special, different even. It is way more interesting that way. Reading is an extremely powerful thing, cherish it.

cites:

“8 Science-Backed Reasons to Read a (Real) Book.” Real Simple, www.realsimple.com/health/preventative-health/benefits-of-reading-real-books.

About the Writer
Raegan Logan, Editor

Hello my name is Raegan Logan and I'm a freshman! I love art, writing, and listeing to music. Also I enjoy speaking my mind and standing up for what I...

1 Comment

One Response to “The Benefits of Reading”

1. Ellen Hughes on August 2nd, 2018 8:23 pm

It did catch my attention when you said that reading can help you to expand your vocabulary and can help you to boost your brain power. This is something that I will make sure to remember because I’m finding ways to help myself in understanding daily updates in different parts of the world. It’s my goal to understand terminologies of the updated news today, so I’ll be sure to start reading news stories. https://viconsortium.com/category/virgin-islands-2/

• The Benefits of Reading

Feature

Breaking the Fall

• The Benefits of Reading

Feature

Music

• The Benefits of Reading

Feature

Why should you get involved at school?

• The Benefits of Reading

Feature

Dancing with the Bruins

• The Benefits of Reading

Feature

Meeting Taylor Swift

• The Benefits of Reading

Feature

2018: The Year For Shoes

• The Benefits of Reading

Feature

How to Be Creative

• The Benefits of Reading

Feature

Benefits of Having Pets

• The Benefits of Reading

Feature

The Brain

• Feature

(Previous) Teacher Spotlight

The Benefits of Reading