• Yearbooks now on sale for $57 Jostens.com or see Miss Reser in Rm 239

• SAT DATES cont: Date-3/9/19 Sign up by February 8 || Date 5/4/19 Sign up by April 5 || Date 6/1/19 Sign up by May 3

• SAT DATES: 12/1/18 Sign up by November 2

The Brain

Cameron Hall, Editor

Have you ever wondered what goes on in your brain? Well, there are many things. There are different lobes of the brain that all do different things. I’m going to tell you what each part does and what it means.

The first lobe is the frontal lobe, and it’s in the front. The frontal lobe is where you experience emotional regulations, planning, reasoning, and problem-solving. Also, if your frontal lobe was to ever get hurt and you were able to survive the injury than you might experience personality changes. The frontal lobe is known for being the “control panel” for our personalities.

The second lobe is the parietal lobe. Which is the lobe right behind the frontal lobe. The parietal lobe is responsible for integrating sensory information including touching, temperature, pressure, and pain. The parietal lobe is kind of where your five senses come in. When it comes to sight through the parietal lobe and occipital lobe conjointly perform certain visual functions.

The third lobe is the temporal lobe. The temporal lobe is right under the parietal lobe and frontal lobe. The temporal lobe is where you process information. It’s also where you have your hearing, recognizing language, and forming memories come into play. It’s also where the production of speech is formed, and if anything damaged the lobe there would be severe consequences, like having difficulties speaking.

The fourth and finally lobe is the occipital lobe is in the very back of the brain. The occipital lobe is where your visual processing center is. The occipital lobe is important to being able to correctly understand what your eyes are seeing. If the occipital lobe was ever to be injured then you would have trouble being able to process visual signals. You can also determine color with this part of the brain.  

This one is not a lobe, but it’s called the limbic system. In this system is where you have emotions, self-awareness, and social skills. With the emotions it’s not recognizing the emotions it’s more of reacting and feeling the emotions.  This system is placed in the middle of the brain. They use to not include the limbic system because they didn’t think that it was actually an important part of the brain. They thought the limbic system was a discrete set of brain structures.

The brain stem is really a valuable part of the brain too. The brain stem helps with basic body functions, such as swallowing, breathing, and vasomotor control. The brain stem is attached to the brain and the spinal cord. The brain stem also helps send messages between the brain and the rest of the body. The brain stem also helps with heart rate, consciousness, and blood pressure.

That’s all the parts of the brain and their responsibilities. Some fun facts about the brain: The human brain is over three times as big as the brain of other mammals that are of similar body size. The human brain only uses twenty percent of its energy. The human brain is protected by the skull which is made up of twenty-two bones joined together.   The average adult human brain weighs three pounds, has a texture like firm jelly, and is made up of seventy-five percent water. The average number of thoughts a person has each day is 70,000. There are about 100,000 blood vessels in the brain. The distance around the world at the equator is 24,900 miles.

https://www.piedmont.org/living-better/10-fun-facts-about-your-brain

About the Writer
Cameron Hall, Editor

Hello I'm Cameron Hall. I'm currently 17, and a sophomore at Blackford. I play soccer, and track for Blackford. I chose this class because I thought making...