• Yearbooks now on sale for $57 Jostens.com or see Miss Reser in Rm 239

• SAT DATES cont: Date-3/9/19 Sign up by February 8 || Date 5/4/19 Sign up by April 5 || Date 6/1/19 Sign up by May 3

• SAT DATES: 12/1/18 Sign up by November 2

Benefits of Having Pets

Khaley Sills, photographer/ writer

You come home from a long day at work, or school, and who is there to greet you at the door? That’s right, your pet! There is an instant joy that fills you and the pet, and that feeling is love and companionship. The love and support they give you after a bad day or even a good day can make anything better. All animals have the potential to make you happy. I want people to see that pets are not just animals that are there when you want them to be. They are man’s best friend, their companion, and their supporter.

I know that from personal experiences my pets have always been there for me, and even though they cannot truly understand human emotions completely, they still show love. When I come home from school and practice every day my pets are sitting right at the door waiting for me. My dogs always jump up and down in joy and get very excited when they see me, and I get very happy that I get to see them when I arrive home. They can sense subtle changes in emotions, so I believe that when I have a bad day and I am upset, they know. They always show love and support no matter what mood I’m in.

The amount of companionship and trust between a human and a pet is vast. Think about all of the work going into training a dog for a service. This takes so much work, trust, and love between both of them. Imagine an animal that was beaten and left on the side of the road and then was taken to a shelter. This animal would have to learn how to forgive, trust and love again, but in the end, they always come back to being a humans best friend. Animals are beneficial in many ways including relieving stress, help the blind, aid the deaf in hearing, help people that can’t walk, and even help sense seizures and more coming upon a human. These animals do not have to be individually dogs, they can be dogs, cats, horses, dolphins and even monkeys. I believe that all animals serve an importance in our lives.

According to others, they love their animals because they decrease stress, lower blood pressure, ease pain, lower cholesterol, positively improves mood, prevent strokes, improves immunities, and can help sense seizures. They feel that their pets provide emotional and mental support. They provide a sense of protection and a feeling of calmness. Say you’re walking alone, or at your house alone, and you have an animal. That animal could be there to protect you from theft, rape, kidnapping or more.

The hard work, the love, the peace, the cute family pictures and service that animals all show that animals are very beneficial in many ways, even if people do not realize them. There are many animals in shelters that need a fun, loving home every day, and I think that because these animals serve such a big purpose, more will soon be adopted. Sharing the love between humans and animals is a bond that everyone should get to experience.  “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” -Anatole France.

About the Writer
Khaley Sills, staff

I am Khaley Sills, currently 15, in the class of 2020. This puts me as a sophomore at Blackford High School. I really want to become a pediatrician, own...